Thursday, January 27, 2011

Planning a Minnie Party: Cakes

One of the most important parts of a birthday is the cake! I have to admit, that Gretchen's party is two days away and I have yet to order this! I decided not to use the bakery I've used for the last two years, because it's thirty minutes away, and because DJ wants me to "budget" this party a little better, I decided we'd go with a local grocery store- because their cakes are delicious too! The problem, is that they don't work with fondant, and I have a hard time choosing a very "plain" cake.

I spoke w/ the bakery on Monday, and someone was suppose to give me a call on Monday evening. The bakery told me that they would be unable to do what I wanted and to make it look good, but they knew someone who could make what I wanted, and she was the one that was suppose to call me. It's been four days since, and I still haven't heard from her. So, I'm foregoing my original plans and visiting a seperate bakery tonight for our cake.

So, I was browsing the internet trying to find cakes that I loved and one design that we would've used- and knew that I needed to share them with y'all!

The first one is has alternating zebra stripes, and polk a dots on a round cake. All of the icing is fondant. It has a twisted rope border at the bottom. I love how this has a two layer look with a round cake on top. Now, to be perfectly honest, I'm not a baker- that's why I order our cakes! So, I'm not sure if the round cake on top is actually a real cake, or if it's a decorated styrofoam ball. But, it's adorable!

This is the actual cake I was wanting, but to alternate the pink with the red, and instead of the rope border- I wanted to do the "balls" in red, yellow, and white. Now, if we needed a huge cake, this is what I would've gone with! It incorporates our colors wonderfully!
The next cake is a smaller version of the first, and it's just as cute!
If you are a baker, then this is something you can do at home, or you can always have someone else make them! These are simple cupcakes with oreo type cookies on top, and mini-cookies as the "ears"; they're just stuck on with icing. The bows are likely a fondant. And, if you went with cupcakes you don't have to worry about cutting and serving!
My plan is to go to the bakery tonight, and even though I have to change the original cake I wanted, I'm sure we can come up with something just as fantastic that incorporates our theme! And, I guess it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it tastes delicious!



2 comments:

  1. Cute cakes! The oreos on top of the cupcakes are genius! You could always just buy plain cupcakes from Sam's or somewhere and do that. In fact, I may steal it for Colin's Mickey party this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah the cupcakes are TOO adorable
    I must remember these!


    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete