Thursday, March 3, 2016

Come On In: Gretchen's Paris Bedroom

When we moved in to our house last summer, Gretchen asked if she could have a Paris bedroom. 

We knew that her bedroom needed an update, but I wasn't quite ready to do it at the time. And I couldn't find anything Paris that wasn't black, harsh, and sparkly. It just wasn't really what I thought a little girl needed. We wanted fun and bright! 

So, we settled on painting her bedroom a bright pink and keeping her old bedspread and decorations. 
So, this is her bedroom before.... My mother made her bedspread when he bought her her "big girl bed" and furniture when she was just 2 1/2. Her bedspread had a mix of patterns and coordinating colors in lime green, hot pink, and yellow. She had stripes, flowers, paisley, and dragon flies. 

And now:
My mom found a Paris themed quilt in the most perfect colors. Lavender, Light Pink, Grey, Turquoise, and Hot Pink. 

Opposite of her bed is her chest of drawers, Barbie dream house, and a little gallery wall. 

I could not find pictures that really went with the color scheme of her room. Again, I didn't want to coordinate with black and sparkles. It just screamed teenage girl, and she's only 8. So, I bought a pack of canvas and painted them in a solid color. I added white polk a dots on the grey canvas and wrote "je taime Paris" in a pink script. On the purple canvas, I had drew the Eiffel tower and little pink hearts. It's likely not the best Eiffel tower- I am SO not an artist, but we still love how they turned out, and it's a perfect quirky art piece above her bed. 
This weekend we purchased new totes for her toys. I've decided I want to go back and get a few more totes for her, but we decided to go with lavender and turquoise since her walls are already a bright pink, and she really did not want grey. 
Above her dresser is a fun name sign that my friend had made for Gretchen. And photos of her, a few bunnies from her nursery, and a picture of her best little friend. 
On her nightstand, she has a photo that her friend gave her back in kindergarten, and a few of her favorite chapter books. 
Her American girl dolls sit on her bed, and now you can finally see her quilt better.
On her closet door, I have her bunny wreath that hung on the hospital door when she was born. 
And I found the perfect Eiffel tower lamp back at Target this fall. 

I knew that my mom had purchased her the quilt in early fall and we decided to put it up for Christmas. So when I found this lamp, I hid it away with her presents, and she opened all of her Paris items for Christmas and found out that she would get to have the bedroom in a Paris theme just like she had requested! 

I think my favorite part is knowing that she finally has a room that she loves! Because we have moved so often, we have never fully decorated a bedroom for any of the girls! I knew that each girl would get to pick their paint colors and help with their bedroom themes as soon as we bought this house. I can't wait to hear giggles from sleep overs, and I look forward to the memories she'll make here. 

To see other rooms in our house go here.

1 comment:

  1. Paris theme is very retro-60s. It was very popular when I was young.

    ReplyDelete